[asterisk-users] Using voice modem as poor man's FXO in Asterisk 1.8

Stuart Longland redhatter at gentoo.org
Mon Feb 28 05:41:38 CST 2011

On 02/28/11 12:36, asterisk asterisk wrote:
> I wonder why you do not have the built in ethernet in your motherboard.

Indeed, most motherboards do come with Ethernet on board.  This one came
with one gigabit Ethernet interface.  However, we needed another for a
connection to an ADSL router (acting in bridged mode so we do the PPPoE
directly).  Thus, a 10/100Mbps Ethernet card was installed to provide
the second port needed.

> You can spare your PCI slot for a proper FXO card and use USB-to-ethernet

I could, but I'd rather not needlessly shut down the system now that
it's working the way I want.  USB or Ethernet means I can just plug the
thing in and get it going without disturbing anything; particularly the
latter.

> For a PCI FXO card, the cheapest will be X100 but be aware of the
> quality and compatibility. Or a better choice will be  TDM400
>
> Other alternative:
> Get a USB-FXO from Sangoma, expensive
> Get a working SPA3000 as FXO --- cheapest I believe
> Get a OBi100, out of stock at the moment. I also want to try

I'll give those some consideration, but yeah, given it's just a case of
for fun, not worth spending a lot of money.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)      .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.