[asterisk-users] Using voice modem as poor man's FXO in Asterisk 1.8

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Mon Feb 28 02:57:59 CST 2011

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:12:44 +1000, Stuart Longland
<redhatter at gentoo.org> wrote:
>Apart from the lack of any hardware signal processing, it seems all the
>components are there.  The server isn't particularly heavily loaded, and
>thus I see no reason why the machine wouldn't theoretically be able to
>handle the DSP in software
 I've seen lesser hardware do quite
>sophisticated DSP in real-time.

That's where Zaptel/Dahdi came from: An open-source driver for a
Winmodem. This is still available as the X100P/X101P, but for some
reason, those cards rarely work.

"A $10 Linux Answering Machine"
www.linuxgazette.net/120/smith.html

www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/X100P+clone

For anything serious, you need to get brands like Digium, Sangoma,
Patton, etc.