[asterisk-users] Assigning an extension to a roaming phone

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Fri Feb 18 11:26:51 CST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Axelle
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 10:21 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Assigning an extension to a roaming phone

Hi,

>I'm thinking that _4XXX is an "over-complication".  _4XXX means you could
>dial any number from 4000 through 4999 inclusive and get the extension at
>SIP/${ROAM}.

Well it's kind of what I want.
I have a roaming phone that comes in. He dials 3001, sets his
extension to 123, so that he is assigned 4123.
I have another roamding phone that comes in. Dials 3001, sets his
extension to 124. He is assigned 4124.
Or at least that's how I understand it.

In reality, what I only need is all roaming phones to get assigned an
extension (within a given range) and to have a way to find their
extension number.
Roaming phone 1 comes in. Get assigned (automatically) 4001.
Roaming phone 2 comes in. Get assigned (automatically) 4002.
Roaming phone 3 comes in. Get assigned (automatically) 4003.
etc

>I'd change the line 2
>- exten => _4XXX,n,Dial(SIP/${ROAM},30,,mKkTt)

looks pretty similar to the previous line - apart from that mKkTt.
What is that for?
What's wrong with the previous line.

>Or
>- exten => 4123,1,Dial(SIP/${ROAM},30,,mKkTt)

That would only match case where roaming user wants to be assigned
4123, but it would not work for - say - 4124.

Thanks.

Ok, so you need a "roaming magic dial" where 4XXX dials the assigned phone.
Your original command
- exten => _4XXX,n,Dial(SIP/${ROAM})
Technically should work, just has no timeouts or control on it.
The ,30 gives the Dial 30 seconds (about 6 rings) to complete, and mKkTt
gives the caller music-on-hold until answer/time then lets the dialee
re-transfer the call.

As I understand what you just wrote, folks come into your shop with a cell
phone (555-1212) and dial a number 3001 to tell your inhouse folks to reach
the cell at 4XXX.  Say "Joe" comes in and dials 3001.  Asterisk should say
"what is your name".  He says "Joe" and Asterisk says "callers can now reach
Joe at 4001".  "Jim" comes in and does the same thing and gets 4002 until
999 folks do it.  Is that correct?