[asterisk-users] Assigning an extension to a roaming phone

Axelle aafortinet at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 09:14:12 CST 2011

Hi again,

> Ok, so you need a "roaming magic dial" where 4XXX dials the assigned phone.

Yes.

> Your original command
> - exten => _4XXX,n,Dial(SIP/${ROAM})
> Technically should work, just has no timeouts or control on it.
> The ,30 gives the Dial 30 seconds (about 6 rings) to complete, and mKkTt
> gives the caller music-on-hold until answer/time then lets the dialee
> re-transfer the call.
>
> As I understand what you just wrote, folks come into your shop with a cell
> phone (555-1212) and dial a number 3001 to tell your inhouse folks to reach
> the cell at 4XXX.  Say "Joe" comes in and dials 3001.  Asterisk should say
> "what is your name".  He says "Joe" and Asterisk says "callers can now reach
> Joe at 4001".  "Jim" comes in and does the same thing and gets 4002 until
> 999 folks do it.  Is that correct?

Well all I need is:
Joe dials 3001
Asterisk says "Callers can now reach you at 4001"
then, another caller can call 4001 and reach Joe.

But to my understanding, the lines below do something a bit more complicated:
(please correct if wrong). And unfortunately they do not work in my case...

exten => 3001,1(readop),BackGround(beep)
Joe dials 3001 and gets a beep

exten => 3001,n,Read(digito,vm-youhave,3)
Asterisk says hello (I don't care the actual message, just to know
when I should start dialing) and reads 3 digits from Joe. Let's says
he dials 001.
Actually, this part does not work. Asterisk does not say 'you have'?!

exten => 3001,n,SayDigits(${digito})
Asterisk says 001.

exten => 3001,n,Set(ROAM=${digito})
exten => 3001,n,Set(DB(roam/ext)=${digito})
Not very sure what this exactly does, but looks like assigning 001 to
roaming user.

exten => 3001,n,playback(vm-goodbye)
Asterisk says goodbye (works)

exten => 3001,n,hangup
Finish connection.

exten => _4XXX,1,Set(ROAM=${DB(roam/ext)})
Now an end-user dialing 4001. Don't know how this routes to my roaming user...

exten => _4XXX,n,Dial(SIP/${ROAM},30,,mKkTt)
Dial the roaming user.
Does not work, Asterisk says 4001 is not attributed.

I still cannot reach my roaming user...

-- Axelle