[asterisk-users] MP3 Crashing Asterisk

Timothy Smith timotsmith at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 21:23:28 CST 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM, A J Stiles
<asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk> wrote:
> (Putting everything back into the right order, and stripping out unnecessary
> bits, for the sake of anybody searching the archives in future.)

Thanks!

> On Friday 04 Feb 2011, Timothy Smith wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM, A J Stiles
>> <asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Try running
>> > $ mpg123
>> > with no arguments, and note the author's name which appears in the
>> > output.
>>
>> Thank you for the pointers.
>>
>> I have checked my system, I seem to have the real mpg123. see below.
>> [root at ivr2 en]# mpg123
>> You made some mistake in program usage... let me briefly remind you:
>>
>> High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layers 1, 2 and 3
>>         version 1.13.0; written and copyright by Michael Hipp and others
>>         free software (LGPL/GPL) without any warranty but with best wishes
>
> Hmm .....  That's the "real" mpg123 alright.
>
>> [root at ivr2 en]# which mpg123
>> /usr/local/bin/mpg123
>> I also think I installed it using yum, however, i can still install a
>> version from sources, just to be sure. Could you please give me the
>> exact URLwhere I can download a version that works well with asterisk?
>
> If it's in /usr/local/bin/ then it almost certainly was built from Source
> Code.
>
> Our working installation  (on Debian Lenny)  is Asterisk 1.6.2.9  (built from
> source) with mpg123 version 1.4.3  (installed from a .deb).
>
> More tests to try:
>
> Can you listen to an mp3 file through the Asterisk server's own sound card
> (if it has one; if not, use the -w option to write to a .wav file, and test
> that by copying it to another machine which has a sound card),  by invoking
> mpg123 from the command line?

Unfortunately, I cannot as the server is in a remote location. I also
have to read about crash dumps to establish which file exactly cuases
the crash. I have too much debugging but I usually see
[Feb  5 08:15:51] WARNING[4895] mp3/interface.c: Junk at the beginning
of frame 49443303 or
[Feb  5 02:14:05] WARNING[7447]: mp3/interface.c:216 decodeMP3: Junk
at the beginning of frame 49443304

 just before the crash.

> Try
> $ file $(which asterisk)
> $ file /usr/local/bin/mpg123
>
> and make sure both are compiled for the same architecture  ("ELF 64-bit LSB
> executable" or "ELF 32-bit LSB executable").  If one is 32-bit and the other
> is 64-bit, you *will* get problems.

I seem to have the same versions.

[root at ivr ~]# file $(which mpg123)
/usr/local/bin/mpg123: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1
(SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32,
not stripped
[root at ivr ~]# file $(which asterisk)
/usr/sbin/asterisk: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1
(SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32,
not stripped
[root at ivr1 ~]#