[asterisk-users] MP3 Crashing Asterisk

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 10:32:20 CST 2011

(Putting everything back into the right order, and stripping out unnecessary
bits, for the sake of anybody searching the archives in future.)

On Friday 04 Feb 2011, Timothy Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM, A J Stiles
> <asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk> wrote:
> > Try running
> > $ mpg123
> > with no arguments, and note the author's name which appears in the
> > output.
>
> Thank you for the pointers.
>
> I have checked my system, I seem to have the real mpg123. see below.
> [root at ivr2 en]# mpg123
> You made some mistake in program usage... let me briefly remind you:
>
> High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layers 1, 2 and 3
>         version 1.13.0; written and copyright by Michael Hipp and others
>         free software (LGPL/GPL) without any warranty but with best wishes

Hmm .....  That's the "real" mpg123 alright.

> [root at ivr2 en]# which mpg123
> /usr/local/bin/mpg123
> I also think I installed it using yum, however, i can still install a
> version from sources, just to be sure. Could you please give me the
> exact URLwhere I can download a version that works well with asterisk?

If it's in /usr/local/bin/ then it almost certainly was built from Source
Code.

Our working installation  (on Debian Lenny)  is Asterisk 1.6.2.9  (built from
source) with mpg123 version 1.4.3  (installed from a .deb).

More tests to try:

Can you listen to an mp3 file through the Asterisk server's own sound card
(if it has one; if not, use the -w option to write to a .wav file, and test
that by copying it to another machine which has a sound card),  by invoking
mpg123 from the command line?

Try
$ file $(which asterisk)
$ file /usr/local/bin/mpg123

and make sure both are compiled for the same architecture  ("ELF 64-bit LSB
executable" or "ELF 32-bit LSB executable").  If one is 32-bit and the other
is 64-bit, you *will* get problems.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.