[asterisk-users] MP3 Crashing Asterisk

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri Feb 4 08:36:28 CST 2011

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Timothy Smith wrote:

> I have a problem with some of my mp3 files. they crash the system
> (Asterisk 1.6.2.14 on a x86_64 running Fedora 13 ) when it tries to
> play them. Unfortunately the logs do not give me a clear fault or
> cause of crash but i can clearly see that ts because of the MP3 files.

Read up on how to create a crash dump and submit a bug report. A 'bad'
file shouldn't crash Asterisk.

> I also tried converting the files to wav or sln but there is severe
> music quality loss.

By converting to MP3, some would say the 'music quality' has already been
lost :)

I convert MP3s with the following:

 	mpg123 -q -w example.mp3.wav example.mp3
 	sox example.mp3.wav -c 1 -s -w -r 8000 example.wav
 	normalize example.wav

If this doesn't help, can you post links to the MP3 and the WAV?

--
Thanks in advance,