[asterisk-users] MP3 Crashing Asterisk

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 08:37:03 CST 2011

On Friday 04 Feb 2011, Timothy Smith wrote:
> Hi Users,
>
> I have a problem with some of my mp3 files. they crash the system
> (Asterisk 1.6.2.14 on a x86_64 running Fedora 13 ) when it tries to
> play them.

Some distros used to use mpg321 instead of mpg123  (early versions of which
used to suffer from non-free licence restrictions, but newer versions are
LGPL)  and the installer created a symbolic link so it could be invoked as
mpg123.  This was known to cause problems for Asterisk, which preferred the
original mpg123.

Try running
$ mpg123
with no arguments, and note the author's name which appears in the output.  If
you see "Michael Hipp", then it really is mpg123.  If you see "Joe Drew" then
this is really mpg321.

For confirmation try
$ ls -l /usr/bin/mpg123
If you see a symbolic link  (cyan and permissions start with lower-case "l")
then this is the problem.

You can always build the "proper" mpg123 from the Source Code  (if you aren't
used to doing this, you may have to install the -devel versions of any
packages which you have installed but the configure script thinks you
haven't, is all).  When you run `make install` it probably will install
itself in /usr/local/bin/mpg123 .  Most distros have a default path set to
look in /usr/local/bin/ before looking in /usr/bin/ ; but if you really want
to make sure, then you can just copy the binary over the top of the existing
symbolic link;
# cp /usr/local/bin/mpg123 /usr/bin/
You might need to repeat this step last if you ever re-install mpg321 from an
RPM package.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.