[asterisk-users] Looking for ideas for nice **Asterisk** home phone system

Skyler skchopperguy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 23:36:53 CDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 21:50 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> So you have asterisk loaded on a wireless router ?  Linksys 54G by
> chance ?

 Yes, Asterisk at the moment. Cisco E3000. 54G is too small for
asterisk, not enough flash/cpu.

> Which VOIP phones are you using ? Which ATA are you using ?

 I have Aastra 6731i, PAP2T, HT286 a Polycom and an Snom unit. Linphone,
Bria, jitsi work as well for PC/Mac/iPhone. Any voip device/software
would work.

 The wife uses call-through on her Blackberry with MY10, she adds
contacts with a pause after her voxnumber; like
1NPANXXXXXX,personsnumber so it dials in then dials out on the trunk. We
have unlimited 60 countries so we can literally call anywhere, from
anywhere and never have to think about it.

 Took me 6 months here-and-there to get it this far. Well worth it
though as we save about $180/month in cell phone bills now between us.

> How big is the system ? (number of lines, users, etc.)

 Just family and tinkering. I had load tested it with SIPp simulating 10
concurrent calls, sat at a steady 93% cpu. I'd say the E3000 would
suffice for home use, 2-3 concurrent users. We stream off the NAS
through it also and don't even notice during a call.

> How does a wireless router handle voicemail ?  Ie no hard drive, so
> where does it store it ?  NAS ?

 It records to memory (flash) and sends a wav to email. Fax works the
same way. Storage can be on a USB key, it works but I don't use it that
way.

> Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

 NP.

S.