[asterisk-users] Looking for ideas for nice **Asterisk** home phone system

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 09:49:44 CDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 21:36 -0700, Skyler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 21:50 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > So you have asterisk loaded on a wireless router ?  Linksys 54G by
> > chance ?
> >
>  Yes, Asterisk at the moment. Cisco E3000. 54G is too small for
> asterisk, not enough flash/cpu.

OK.  I'm a 54G guy.  I just bought a E4200 the other day for our media
network.

> > Which VOIP phones are you using ? Which ATA are you using ?
> >
>  I have Aastra 6731i, PAP2T, HT286 a Polycom and an Snom unit. Linphone,
> Bria, jitsi work as well for PC/Mac/iPhone. Any voip device/software
> would work.

OK.

>  The wife uses call-through on her Blackberry with MY10, she adds
> contacts with a pause after her voxnumber; like
> 1NPANXXXXXX,personsnumber so it dials in then dials out on the trunk. We
> have unlimited 60 countries so we can literally call anywhere, from
> anywhere and never have to think about it.

Our plans have free local calling and 20 cents a minute for "long
distance".  I spent $80 last week on "long distance" that would have
been $12 on our home plan.  To say nothing of all the other benefits.

>  Took me 6 months here-and-there to get it this far. Well worth it
> though as we save about $180/month in cell phone bills now between us.

Right.

Are you using a POTS connection or SIP provider for your phone system ?

> > How big is the system ? (number of lines, users, etc.)
> >
>  Just family and tinkering. I had load tested it with SIPp simulating 10
> concurrent calls, sat at a steady 93% cpu. I'd say the E3000 would
> suffice for home use, 2-3 concurrent users. We stream off the NAS
> through it also and don't even notice during a call.

Sounds perfect.

> > How does a wireless router handle voicemail ?  Ie no hard drive, so
> > where does it store it ?  NAS ?
> >
>  It records to memory (flash) and sends a wav to email. Fax works the
> same way.

:drool:  So you can receive faxes that arrive at home on the road then,
as an email attachment, right ?   Without having to find a fax machine
while traveling and coordinating with the sender ?

If we wanted faxes received on the fax machine, can asterisk recognize a
fax tone and route the call to the fax machine ?

Will the fax machine send via an analog connection to the asterisk
system ?  Or does it need its own line directly out ?

What information resources did you use when setting up your system ?

Thanks again for the replies.

LG