[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Apr 28 17:48:01 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> I would comment that I've been complaining about this since RC1 or 2
> and if you just fixed it in 2 hours that there is something seriously
> wrong with the bug tracking system. I mean, I reported it a long
> time ago and while it was probably not the best bug report ever, I
> would have been more than willing to do almost anything to help fix
> it. I know what beta tester means, I've beta tested disk defraggers
> and disk caches and lost everything when they had the wrong bug and I
> know it can take a few tries to both fix the bug and for someone to
> help me identify it so they have an idea of where to look. Personally
> I'd just assumed that 1.8 was going to stay broken as no one seemed
> to care and was really happy when trunk worked as that meant I could
> move on. I like the bleeding edge and will always run the current
> beta on my small system unless I find a problem. I know it's
> dangerous, but it gives me the best chance of influencing where the
> product is going. Not much chance with this, but old habits die hard.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the bug tracking system.  It's more of a resource issue with many conflicting priorities.  Officially letting off some of the pressure from older branches does help.  I would like to be making faster progress through bug reports and patches.  I do have an open position for another full time Asterisk developer at Digium in case anyone is interested.  :-)

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.   |   Engineering Manager, Open Source Software