[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Thu Apr 28 14:47:05 CDT 2011

On 11-04-28 12:04 PM, Administrator TOOTAI wrote:
> Ok, so why not stay with asterisk 1.4 security *and* bug/regression fixes for
> few weeks/monthes till 1.8 reaches the level that the community accept to switch
> to 1.8

What is the guide here? What is the "level that the community" accepts?
Unfortunately that is a statement that is impossible to measure quantitatively.
The answer will always be, "We're not ready!"

Having to focus on issues on both the 1.4 and 1.8 branches simultaneously
distracts from the goal of making 1.8 stable (which in my several deployments
recently, it seems to be).

I've also seen very few issues being committed to 1.4 for quite some time, which
seems to tell me 1.4 is stable for most deployments. It's not like there has
been a flurry of activity around 1.4 and all of a sudden it's being cut off. In
my estimation the number of commits to 1.4 going from "a few" to "none" is not a
significant direction change.

Asterisk 1.4 isn't going away. The code base won't stop working on your system
-- it will continue happily plugging away as it always has. The code will
continue to be available for deployments.

With focus being directed to 1.8, the issues that may be blocking you from
having a successful migration to, or deployment of, Asterisk 1.8 will get fixed
that much sooner.

If the community won't, or can't, step up to maintain a community based branch
which has very few changes being made to it, then I'm not sure it is fair to
expect Digium to do that.

Leif.