[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Administrator TOOTAI admin at tootai.net
Thu Apr 28 11:04:15 CDT 2011

Le 28/04/2011 16:53, Russell Bryant a écrit :
> [...]

Let's see it from another angle: we today are mainly using 1.4 and 1.6.2
In the last month with faced those regressions, first still not solved:

https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=18539
https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=18998

Do you think we're ready to switch to 1.8 if 1.4/1.6 still have such
behavior?

As I told in previous answer, we started 1.4 in production very early
and had lots of troubles, we don't want to face the same over activity
with 1.8

> Resources are limited.
This I understand
> What is the best use of our time to help ensure the best future?  Where do we want to see the project in the next 6 months to a year?  A primary focus on further solidifying Asterisk 1.8 is what gets us there in my mind.

Agree
> Asterisk 1.4 was released 4.5 years ago.  It mostly "just works", and I fully expect many to keep using it until they see a need to migrate.  This process has been likened to when the community moved from Asterisk 1.2 to 1.4.  Asterisk 1.8 has been much more stable out of the gate than 1.4, due to many things we have done over the years to increase quality, including:
[...]

Ok, so why not stay with asterisk 1.4 security *and* bug/regression
fixes for few weeks/monthes till 1.8 reaches the level that the
community accept to switch to 1.8

--
Daniel