[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Administrator TOOTAI admin at tootai.net
Thu Apr 28 15:33:14 CDT 2011

Le 28/04/2011 21:47, Leif Madsen a écrit :
> On 11-04-28 12:04 PM, Administrator TOOTAI wrote:
>> Ok, so why not stay with asterisk 1.4 security *and* bug/regression fixes for
>> few weeks/monthes till 1.8 reaches the level that the community accept to switch
>> to 1.8
> What is the guide here? What is the "level that the community" accepts?
> Unfortunately that is a statement that is impossible to measure quantitatively.
> The answer will always be, "We're not ready!"

Don't think so, analyze the answers to this discussion -thanks Ole ;-)-:
till 1.8 is not at the feature level and stability of 1.4, people like
me will not move to 1.8 Measure is easy :-)

> Having to focus on issues on both the 1.4 and 1.8 branches simultaneously
> distracts from the goal of making 1.8 stable (which in my several deployments
> recently, it seems to be).

Again, I think that maintaining 1.4 on his today level is ok *if and
only if* bugs/regression are taking in account, not only security.

> [...]
>
> With focus being directed to 1.8, the issues that may be blocking you from
> having a successful migration to, or deployment of, Asterisk 1.8 will get fixed
> that much sooner.

In production you can't use something which will be "fixed sooner". It
has to work straight on, at least when you upgrade from a previous
version. Customer doesn't care if the new version is more up to date and
has new features if in the mean time they don't have features that they
had before.

> If the community won't, or can't, step up to maintain a community based branch
> which has very few changes being made to it, then I'm not sure it is fair to
> expect Digium to do that.

That's one point for you: community seems to say "we want that 1.4 still
lives" but no one [want|doesn't have the knowledge] to participate on
maintaining the community branch.

--
Daniel