[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Apr 27 15:34:36 CDT 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> The Digium team wants to go ahead and not support 1.4 any more, I want
> to keep 1.4 open for normal bug fixes. What do you think?

I would like to see continued bug and security fixes for 1.4 for some time
yet.

As well as a raft of hosted servers, I have several hundred systems out
there - many small embedded type installations (boot from flash, run in
ram - my own custom Linux install) - a lot still running 1.2 which will
never be upgraded until they die.

I didn't find 1.4 stable enough for my needs until about the late
1.4.20's.

And really, I don't have a need for 1.4 - 1.2 did (and still does)
everything I need to build a PBX capable of a few 100 extensions, but I
felt that if I didn't move then things would get tough - no bug fixes, no
support, and being laughed at for being such a dinosaur...

Right now, I've no plans at all to move to 1.8, nor the time at present to
even download, compile and test it. There are no features in it that I
need and no bugs (that affect me & my simple needs) that it fixes in 1.4
that I'm aware of. So I don't feel the point. (The one thing it might have
- BRI support in DAHDI is now moot as I've decided to abandon all on-board
PSTN hardware and use external devices as it's much less of a hassle
all-round and I want to sell SIP minutes!)

Gordon