[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Administrator TOOTAI admin at tootai.net
Wed Apr 27 15:28:17 CDT 2011

Le 27/04/2011 21:34, Olle E. Johansson a écrit :
> Friends,
>
> We have a discussion on asterisk-dev about the maintenance of the 1.4 branch. According to the release plans, support for 1.4 was scheduled to close in April 2011 - basically now. After that, only security patches would be committed. This is already a delay from the original plan published by Russell Bryant.
>
> Unfortunately, I think this is way too early. My feeling and experience is that 1.8 is not ready for production in the environments I work in - large scale installations. Customers are not planning migration and all new installs are still 1.4. Tests we've been doing with 1.8 has failed within just a short time and so badly that customers has not paid me to spend any further time with 1.8.
[...]

Agree with you at 100%. 1.8 is not ready for production. I remember our
switch from 1.2 to 1.4  very early and had huge problems (misdn and
B410P just comes in my mind), had to work with trunk, aso. At 1.4.8 or
so it started to be stable. We're now at 1.8.3 ...

Also, latest 1.4 had some regressions (eg voicemailbox sequences), which
means that we're not, at this time, sure that basic stuffs are working
smoothly with 1.4.41 What happends if new regressions appears?

My vote goes to stay with 1.4 and continue to stabilize it (not asking
to include new stuff) till community declare that 1.8 is at the level of
1.4.

--
Daniel