[asterisk-users] asterisk-users Digest, Vol 81, Issue 12

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Tue Apr 5 14:45:52 CDT 2011

On 04/05/2011 03:06 PM, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Message: 12
> Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:36:21 -0500
> From: Sherwood McGowan<sherwood.mcgowan at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Iptables configuration to handle brute,
> 	force registrations?
> 	<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
> Cc: Bill Michaelson<bill at cosi.com>
>
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Bill Michaelson<bill at cosi.com>  wrote:
>
>> >    fail2ban might be good for this.
>> >

> I think you missed the point, which is reducing the need for an external
> application that searches logs in order to determine whether or not to block
> an IP.
>
> Why run fail2ban and add overhead when you can just do the same thing with
> iptables itself?
I apologize for jumping into the middle without reading the beginning of
the discussion in which this central requirement to avoid an external
application was stated, as I now infer from Mr. McGowan.  Sorry for
missing the point.

I'll have to read up on fail2ban also.  I thought it monitored the tails
of logs.  I did not know that it searched them.

My intent was to suggest using an established tool that would
consolidate the IP blocking and unblocking function for all ports into a
single application without imposing additional maintenance overhead of
new code for this purpose.  Obviously, I'm not seeing the big picture.
Sorry for my myopic comments and for cluttering the list.  I won't make
the mistake of offering worthless contributions in the future.