[asterisk-users] asterisk-users Digest, Vol 81, Issue 12

Sherwood McGowan sherwood.mcgowan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 01:45:27 CDT 2011

On 4/5/2011 2:45 PM, Bill Michaelson wrote:

> On 04/05/2011 03:06 PM, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com wrote:
>> Message: 12
>> Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:36:21 -0500
>> From: Sherwood McGowan <sherwood.mcgowan at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Iptables configuration to handle brute,
>> 	force registrations?
>> 	<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>> Cc: Bill Michaelson <bill at cosi.com>

>> I think you missed the point, which is reducing the need for an external
>> application that searches logs in order to determine whether or not to block
>> an IP.
>>
>> Why run fail2ban and add overhead when you can just do the same thing with
>> iptables itself?
> I apologize for jumping into the middle without reading the beginning
> of the discussion in which this central requirement to avoid an
> external application was stated, as I now infer from Mr. McGowan.
> Sorry for missing the point.
>
> I'll have to read up on fail2ban also.  I thought it monitored the
> tails of logs.  I did not know that it searched them.
>
> My intent was to suggest using an established tool that would
> consolidate the IP blocking and unblocking function for all ports into
> a single application without imposing additional maintenance overhead
> of new code for this purpose.  Obviously, I'm not seeing the big
> picture.  Sorry for my myopic comments and for cluttering the list.  I
> won't make the mistake of offering worthless contributions in the future.
>

> --

*grabs a bucket of water*.....

My my my, I think I need some hipwaders.....Was that a Caterpillar brand
roadgrader you were using to spread that sarcasm on so thick?

My reply to your statement about fail2ban was not intended to be
rude/sarcastic/mean...After being a complete jackass on this list a few
times in the last 6 months, I realized that I was, and I've kept my
flamethrower in storage as of late...

I wasn't trying to chastise you, or whatever you may have thought from
my reply. My reply may have not necessarily been constructive either,
but give a recovering threadflamer a little credit, there wasn't really
even a spark in my email...

Slainte all, I'm off to bed
--

Sherwood McGowan <sherwood.mcgowan at gmail.com>
Carrier, ITSP, Call Center, and PBX Solutions Consultant