[asterisk-users] PostgreSQL is asterisk friendly with it?

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Mon Sep 13 10:59:19 CDT 2010

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Bryant
Zimmerman
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 10:47 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: [asterisk-users] PostgreSQL is asterisk friendly with it?

>As I look to move our systems to version 1.8 I am looking at making a
change from mySQL to PostgreSQL.

>I love mySQL but am getting very concerned about i'ts new owners.
>Should I be able to move all my realtime stuff to PostgreSQL is it fully
supported with asterisk?
>Is there any down side to PostgreSQL over mySQL or will it be a big win?
>Our database servers are linux but we access them from asterisk as well as
windows are there any thing to be concerned with there?
>I use c#, vb.net and mono to do a lot of our stuff are there any issues I
should know about?

>Thanks
>Bryant

In my experience, Asterisk plays much more nicely with MYSQL than
POSTGRESQL.  PostgreSQL is "supported" as ODBC vs "NATIVE" support for
MYSQL.  The "downside" that I'm aware of is that certain features of MYSQL
aren't directly portable to PostgreSQL (blobs for example).  Linux could
care less. IMO, Asterisk will be a larger hurdle than C#, vb.net or mono to
jump over.  This is all in 1.4/1.6; some changes may have modified these
answers regarding 1.8.