[asterisk-users] Integrating Asterisk 1.8 with Google Talk and Google Voice

Stephen Reese rsreese at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:16:29 CDT 2010

> Since Google Voice (GV) doesn't let us connect diretly via SIP, IAX2, etc.,
> for outbound calls, it acts basically like a fancy click-to-call application.
>
> So...
>
> You need Asterisk to "login" into GV, and "initiate" the call.  GV will dial
> the number you tell it to, then connect it to one of your GV numbers.
>
> In my case, the AGI is what connects to GV and initiates the call.  GV, then
> dials the number I told it to dial, then connects it with my ipKall number
> (which I have as one of my GV numbers).
>
> In Asterisk, the outbound call runs the AGI and places the channel in the DB,
> then waits for an incoming call via my inbound ipKall trunk.
>
> Once the ipKall comes into Asterisk, the Bridge command is used to bridge the
> original (with the matching DB entry) call-- the call that is coming in from
> GV through ipKall.
>
> I suppose you don't need that AGI and could probably do this using Curl in the
> dialplan.
>
> -A
>
> --
> Anthony - http://messinet.com - http://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
> 8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E

That makes sense but I do not see where the new feature is in Asterisk
1.8 which include Google Voice support per
http://svn.asterisk.org/svn/asterisk/tags/1.8.0/asterisk-1.8.0-summary.txt:

290973  |dvossel        |Make outbound Google Voice calls.   |          |

It seems that the GV has been a feature for sometime with previous
versions? I'm just trying to keep the process as simple as possible
and seeing three different methods is a little confusing:

http://blog.polybeacon.com/2010/10/17/asterisk-1-8-and-google-voice/
(no script referenced)
http://www.davidvossel.com/?p=28 (python script and listed in the
change log above)
http://messinet.com/trac/wiki/AsteriskGVGateway (AGI script)

Is your .agi and .git the same script? I do not have a git client on
this host to see for myself.

Thanks,
Stephen