[asterisk-users] Integrating Asterisk 1.8 with Google Talk and Google Voice

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Mon Oct 25 17:48:21 CDT 2010

On Monday, October 25, 2010 07:30:22 am Stephen Reese wrote:
> Does the AGI have to be used? In this example
> http://www.davidvossel.com/?p=28 I see mention of a script, but not in
> this one:
> http://blog.polybeacon.com/2010/10/17/asterisk-1-8-and-google-voice/
>
> I believe I missing the connection in how the whole process actually
> works therefore making troubleshooting a little difficult. I was
> hoping with the release of 1.6.0 there wouldn't be a lot of bandage
> work to get it to play nicely with Google Voice.

Since Google Voice (GV) doesn't let us connect diretly via SIP, IAX2, etc.,
for outbound calls, it acts basically like a fancy click-to-call application.

So...

You need Asterisk to "login" into GV, and "initiate" the call.  GV will dial
the number you tell it to, then connect it to one of your GV numbers.

In my case, the AGI is what connects to GV and initiates the call.  GV, then
dials the number I told it to dial, then connects it with my ipKall number
(which I have as one of my GV numbers).

In Asterisk, the outbound call runs the AGI and places the channel in the DB,
then waits for an incoming call via my inbound ipKall trunk.

Once the ipKall comes into Asterisk, the Bridge command is used to bridge the
original (with the matching DB entry) call-- the call that is coming in from
GV through ipKall.

I suppose you don't need that AGI and could probably do this using Curl in the
dialplan.

-A

8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E