[asterisk-users] Dial plan help

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sat Oct 23 10:50:34 CDT 2010

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Jigar Joshi wrote:
>
>> @Gilles here are my requirement.can you please help me .

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Jigar Joshi wrote:

> I am facing issue while generating a dial plan for the following case:
>
> all caller should be asked a code to enter than All the callers should
> be connected one extension.
>
> also tell me testing scenario : I have pbx setup and currently I have
> soft phones to use as extension.
>
> Currently I have created a dial plan using vdp I tried submitting it
> here but I don't know how to extract text version for the same .
>
> I have deployed that dial plan to my local system and when I dial any
> extension call just gets ended.
>
> At the end I should be able to dial a no from a soft phone and it should
> ask me a code then I should be connected to an fixed extension.

Have you read the book?

Have you tried some of the examples?

This "visual dial plan" stuff is leading down a path where you will never
understand how a dial plan "really works" and you will not learn how to
help yourself -- which you will need to do since nobody on this list seems
to know anything about vdp.

I'm still trying to understand what you are trying to accomplish. It
sounds like you want to allow callers to join a conference after entering
a PIN. If so, search the book for examples on using the meetme()
application. Google will also prove to be a valuable resource.

It also sounds like you haven't mastered even calling from one extension
to another. Learn to walk before you try to run.

> please also mention how to deploy sound file to system using web
> interface.

Doesn't your vdp stuff automagically do this for you?

Skip looking for some magic visual or web based tools and learn to use the
Unix command line -- it's really not all that difficult.

If you don't want to invest the time to learn to use the proper tools,
please hire someone to do it for you. Do you repair your own [kitchen
appliances|plumbing|car|computer]? You can learn any of these skills or
you can hire somebody to do it for you.

Do you have the basic Unix skills to use cp (from a USB stick), scp, or
ftp?

Try this approach:

1) Learn enough Unix to log in and edit the Asterisk configuration files
using an editor like emacs, vi, or joe.

2) Create a simple dial plan so you can dial a number and play a file like
"demo-congrats."

3) Add to your dialplan so you can dial another number and dial another
phone.

4) Add to your dialplan so you can dial a number and execute the meetme()
application.

At each step, observe the console output from Asterisk so you will learn
what a normal call looks like and you will see useful messages that will
clue you in when something doesn't work as expected.

Everybody on this list is interested in helping you succeed with Asterisk,
but only if you are willing to invest the effort.

--
Thanks in advance,