[asterisk-users] SIP Extensions and loss of Internet connection

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Mon Nov 22 09:26:42 CST 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> A few days I have problems connecting to the Internet on my house and
> since then my local SIP extensions are no longer registered against the
> local Asterisk server.

You have to be a bit more specific. For example is your Asterisk box
behind a router/nat? Or does your asterisk box have two NICs one for
the public and/or natted IP and one for the LAN? You need to specify
your exact setup.

> I'm using Asterisk 1.4.24.1. I was researching on the Internet and I
> found that it can be related to a bug of chan_sip, can it be? In this
> case, is there a possible workaround?

It's probably not a bug. Maybe you are registering by name and the
name resolves to the public IP, and if you are in a DSL cable
connection you public IP will change and perhaps you don't even have a
public IP. Another possibility is that your ISP does not in fact give
you public IPs (like most in the USA) and you have your LAN in the
same network definition as theirs. I mean there are so many
possibilities but you need to specifiy the exact network setup (IPs,
masks, routing, etc.)