[asterisk-users] Recommended *WRT router to run Asterisk?

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Fri Nov 19 09:10:06 CST 2010

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:43:28 +0000 (GMT), Gordon Henderson wrote:

>Interestingly for commercial units, I've had the opposite experience -
>I've found that my (business) customers just will not pay for something
>tiny that's capable of supporting 30 phones... I did have a look at the
>GuruPlug stuff recently, but it's just not going to be sensible for me to
>put any effort into it as people won't buy it. Even my smallest box at
>150mm square is verging on the unbelievable for some people - especially
>those used to a PBX taking up a whole rack, or having 2 or more large
>units bolted to a wall...
>
>Still, for home/hobby use these little things are great!

It seems to me that there's definitely a break point below which very
small hardware platforms are really only suitable for hobby or very
niche applications. I once ran Astlinux on a Gumstix board just to see
if it was possible. But beyond embedded applications it actually
creates problems to have such small hardware. OTOH, net-tops like the
the Fit-PC2i are really very interesting, and servicable in small
producti
roles.

http://www.mgraves.org/2010/07/d-i-y-asterisk-appliances-a-question-of-s
cale/