[asterisk-users] Recommended *WRT router to run Asterisk?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Nov 19 04:43:28 CST 2010

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, John Novack wrote:

> Not really "in production" But for a SIP/IAX Asterisk box, it works!
> there is a Dockstar hacking site that "de-nuts" the boot code and allows
> booting from a 1-2 gig flash ( I have not had good luck with 4 and 8 gig
> flash, but it could be the flash sticks. Loading Debian squeeze onto the
> flash, configure Debian not to use the swap, then wget and compile
> Asterisk. the make file needs to be modified to specify arm5 rather than
> the longer name configure generates.  adding some additional packages to
> the Debian load will be needed. Lenny also works. the Dockstar only has
> 128M of ram. the more expensive Sheeva I believe has more, but for a
> small office or home it just sits there and works! remember to noload
> all the unwanted modules as well.
> I am no Linux eggspurt, but I got this working, with the help of Google,
> in a few hours.
>
> Sometimes smaller is better, or at least it can be fun!

Interestingly for commercial units, I've had the opposite experience -
I've found that my (business) customers just will not pay for something
tiny that's capable of supporting 30 phones... I did have a look at the
GuruPlug stuff recently, but it's just not going to be sensible for me to
put any effort into it as people won't buy it. Even my smallest box at
150mm square is verging on the unbelievable for some people - especially
those used to a PBX taking up a whole rack, or having 2 or more large
units bolted to a wall...

Still, for home/hobby use these little things are great!

Gordon