[asterisk-users] Recommended *WRT router to run Asterisk?

jon pounder jonp at inline.net
Fri Nov 19 09:15:40 CST 2010

On 11/19/2010 10:10 AM, Michael Graves wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:43:28 +0000 (GMT), Gordon Henderson wrote:
>

>> Interestingly for commercial units, I've had the opposite experience -
>> I've found that my (business) customers just will not pay for something
>> tiny that's capable of supporting 30 phones... I did have a look at the
>> GuruPlug stuff recently, but it's just not going to be sensible for me to
>> put any effort into it as people won't buy it. Even my smallest box at
>> 150mm square is verging on the unbelievable for some people - especially
>> those used to a PBX taking up a whole rack, or having 2 or more large
>> units bolted to a wall...
>>
>> Still, for home/hobby use these little things are great!
>>
> It seems to me that there's definitely a break point below which very
> small hardware platforms are really only suitable for hobby or very
> niche applications. I once ran Astlinux on a Gumstix board just to see
> if it was possible. But beyond embedded applications it actually
> creates problems to have such small hardware. OTOH, net-tops like the
> the Fit-PC2i are really very interesting, and servicable in small
> producti
> roles.
>
> http://www.mgraves.org/2010/07/d-i-y-asterisk-appliances-a-question-of-s
> cale/

The problem is people want to find the $50 embedded solution and then
use it where the $1000 solution is really needed.

What is nice is when the $50 hardware and the $1000 hardware run exactly
the same software so other than the drivers for the hardware itself,
everything else behaves the same way and its easy to move around
configurations to grow. (I am not talking about asterisk specifically,
just generally about routers, backup devices, media servers, etc)