[asterisk-users] Recommended *WRT router to run Asterisk?

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Thu Nov 18 17:27:39 CST 2010

Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, John Novack wrote:
>

>> AstLinux on various embedded hardware really works well. I have several on older HP Thin Clients, 55xx series, some
>> with only 128 Meg of ram. A replacement flash from Transcend and a 55xx of eBay can be easily under $50.
>> the GUI in AstLinux makes life simple for users who want to make minor changes.
>>
>> If you want to go REALLY small, the Dockstar with a 1-2 Gig pen flash running Debian and 1.6.2.13 in a package not
>> much larger than a pack of cigarettes
>>

> Holy crap!  I just found these on CircuitCity's web site for $29... I
> bought three to play with :)  Is anyone running on a Dockstar in
> production?  For a small SIP only office this may just be ideal!

Not really "in production" But for a SIP/IAX Asterisk box, it works!
there is a Dockstar hacking site that "de-nuts" the boot code and allows
booting from a 1-2 gig flash ( I have not had good luck with 4 and 8 gig
flash, but it could be the flash sticks. Loading Debian squeeze onto the
flash, configure Debian not to use the swap, then wget and compile
Asterisk. the make file needs to be modified to specify arm5 rather than
the longer name configure generates.  adding some additional packages to
the Debian load will be needed. Lenny also works. the Dockstar only has
128M of ram. the more expensive Sheeva I believe has more, but for a
small office or home it just sits there and works! remember to noload
all the unwanted modules as well.
I am no Linux eggspurt, but I got this working, with the help of Google,
in a few hours.

Sometimes smaller is better, or at least it can be fun!

John Novack

--

Dog is my Co-pilot