[asterisk-users] Migration from 1.2 to 1.8 in production

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Wed Nov 3 10:23:06 CDT 2010

On Wednesday 03 November 2010 09:32:10 Danny Nicholas wrote:
> satish patel wrote:
> > We are running asterisk 1.2.x version in production environment since
> > last 5 year and we have no issue at all, But now time to upgrade. and i
> > heard about 1.8 which has introduce many features. I am wondering
> > should I use asterisk 1.8 in production ? or should I go with 1.4 or
> > 1.6 stable version?
> >
> > I would like if you suggest me which version would be good for
> > production since asterisk 1.8 still in beta process.
>
> 1.8 will introduce many features and is the "supported standard", which
> will be important to you since you are on a "5 year upgrade" plan.  It
> also has more "opportunities" than the 1.4 version since it is under
> active development and 1.4 is in a "patch only" state.

This is not the case.  Both 1.8 and 1.4 are in the same state right now.
The only difference in support level is that 1.4's EOL is much sooner than
the EOL for 1.8.  1.6.2 will EOL at approximately the same time as 1.4.
See https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Versions for the
most up-to-date schedule.

--
Tilghman Lesher