[asterisk-users] Migration from 1.2 to 1.8 in production

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Wed Nov 3 09:32:10 CDT 2010

  _____

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of satish patel
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:14 AM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: [asterisk-users] Migration from 1.2 to 1.8 in production

Hello Everyone,

We are running asterisk 1.2.x version in production environment since last 5
year and we have no issue at all, But now time to upgrade. and i heard about
1.8 which has introduce many features. I am wondering should I use asterisk
1.8 in production ? or should I go with 1.4 or 1.6 stable version?

I would like if you suggest me which version would be good for production
since asterisk 1.8 still in beta process.

Thanks,
S. Patel

1.8 will introduce many features and is the "supported standard", which will
be important to you since you are on a "5 year upgrade" plan.  It also has
more "opportunities" than the 1.4 version since it is under active
development and 1.4 is in a "patch only" state.  If immediate stability is
your goal, you may want to stick with 1.4.  If I were going to bite the
bullet on 1.6, I'd jump straight to 1.8 since there is no "end-of-life"
advantage.