[asterisk-users] Asterisk, VoIP and Samsung iDCS100

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Tue Nov 2 11:35:56 CDT 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 04:13:01PM +0000, Ronny Adsetts wrote:

>3. Other ways?

It all rather depends on what your proprietary system has been set up to do. (If you didn't already have the Samsung box, you wouldn't need to buy one.) Dedicated telephony hardware tends to be restricted in all sorts of perverse ways to try to make you buy more from the same manufacturer; that'll be your biggest problem.

Ideally you would be able to tell your iDCS100 "there are multiple VoIP phones at this IP address", and connect to the Asterisk server over the LAN. How you would go about that, I have no idea; I suspect "SIP IP Trunking" is what Samsung calls this feature. The more work you can  shoft onto the Asterisk server, the cleaner this will all be.

In this scenario, the Asterisk server just has a normal network card in it, and you shift all your VoIP traffic over the LAN and VPN.