[asterisk-users] Asterisk, VoIP and Samsung iDCS100

Ronny Adsetts ronny.adsetts at amazinginternet.com
Tue Nov 2 12:10:08 CDT 2010

Roger Burton West said at 02/11/2010 16:35:
> On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 04:13:01PM +0000, Ronny Adsetts wrote:
>
>> 3. Other ways?
>
> It all rather depends on what your proprietary system has been set up
> to do. (If you didn't already have the Samsung box, you wouldn't need
> to buy one.) Dedicated telephony hardware tends to be restricted in
> all sorts of perverse ways to try to make you buy more from the same
> manufacturer; that'll be your biggest problem.

Indeed. If I had the time I'd simply build a complete Asterisk system.

> Ideally you would be able to tell your iDCS100 "there are multiple
> VoIP phones at this IP address", and connect to the Asterisk server
> over the LAN. How you would go about that, I have no idea; I suspect
> "SIP IP Trunking" is what Samsung calls this feature. The more work
> you can  shoft onto the Asterisk server, the cleaner this will all
> be.
>
> In this scenario, the Asterisk server just has a normal network card
> in it, and you shift all your VoIP traffic over the LAN and VPN.

This scenario needs the Samsung ITM3 expansion card as far as I can tell (for a r1 version of the Samsung iDCS 100 which I think we have). They're quite difficult to find and costly to boot. Sigh.

I had my hopes up for a few minutes there. :-).

Thanks for the idea though.

Ronny
--
Ronny Adsetts
Technical Director

Registered office: UK House, 82 Heath Road, Twickenham TW1 4BW
Registered in England. Company No. 4042957