[asterisk-users] Connect mobile to asterisk

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Mon May 31 07:03:34 CDT 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010 13:12:25 +0200, lesouvage <info at meetmecall.nl>
wrote:
>If you are interested in really integrating GSM phones into an
>Asterisk based system without any telco involved check the OpenBTS
>project. I have done a research and trial project and this combination
>of open hardware (USRP), the OpenBTS open source project and Asterisk
>is pretty amazing. The hardware is kind of expensive and you have to
>check the legislation in the country if you plan to use an OpenBTS
>based solution but the whole project is real interesting.

Thanks for the tip. I remember reading about this project a while ago.

"In plain language, we are working on a new kind of cellular network
that can be installed and operated at about 1/10 the cost of current
technologies, but that will still be compatible with most of the
handsets that are already in the market. This technology can also be
used in private network applications (wireless PBX, rapid deployment,
etc.) at much lower cost and complexity than conventional cellular."

http://openbts.sourceforge.net/

How mature is it, and is it cheaper than getting a GSM gateway +
second GSM subscription?