[asterisk-users] Connect mobile to asterisk

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Mon May 31 16:07:07 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 13:12 +0200, lesouvage wrote:
> If you are interested in really integrating GSM phones into an
> Asterisk based system without any telco involved check the OpenBTS
> project. I have done a research and trial project and this combination
> of open hardware (USRP), the OpenBTS open source project and Asterisk
> is pretty amazing. The hardware is kind of expensive and you have to
> check the legislation in the country if you plan to use an OpenBTS
> based solution but the whole project is real interesting.
>
>   Erik

If openbts is too much for you, you can also try existing bts with a
openbsc: http://openbsc.gnumonks.org/trac/wiki/OpenBSC

<snip>

> > Since wifi isn't as reliable and pervasive as GSM (and I read that
> > BlackBerry don't allow VoIP clients anyway, so as to force users to
> > make calls through their cellphone provider), I assume you don't want
> > to connect the Blackberry to Asterisk through either through
> > USB/Ethernet or wifi, but rather through GSM.
> >
> > The only solution I know is to buy a GSM gateway that will be
> > connected by wire to your Asterisk server at home, and you'll need to
> > get a second GSM subscription so that the GSM gateway has a SIM and
> > let you connect your GSM phone to your Asterisk server.

BB don't allow...... forces users....
Not true, though not common good

I had the privilige of using an demo-BB with a softphone-client.
It sort of works (if you don't mind a 10 second latency)

hw