[asterisk-users] press release: Attrafax t.30 and t.38 alternative now released as gpl2 + commercial license

Zoa zoachien at securax.org
Thu Mar 11 04:31:35 CST 2010

JR Richardson wrote:
>> Zoa wrote:
>>
>>> On friday we finally released Attrafax under a GPL2 license.
>>> It comes with its own set of modems and built in transparent gatewaying.
>>> The solution should be quite stable as long as the line quality is ok.
>>> (Some tools for measuring the line quality are included in the release,
>>> as well as some fax2mail scripts).
>>>
>>> There is an example implementation included for Asterisk 1.4, if someone
>>> wants to porting it to the new fax backend or more recent asterisk
>>> versions and needs some help, let us know.
>>>
> I tested Attrafax this afternoon and was very pleased to see that it
> worked first time right out of the box.  I tested the gateway function
> with the Asterisk source in the tarbal, Zaptel 1.4.10.1 and a Digium
> TE405P ver2 4-port T1 card.  I really like the console output while
> processing faxes.  Very impressive.
>
> Would anyone mind sharing any performance statistics based on real
> word usage or even high volume lab testing?  I'm wondering how many
> concurrent T38 to PRI faxes could be handled with high end server
> hardware.  Where are the bottlenecks for the software stack, RAM, PCI
> Bus, Proc Speed, Disc I/O?  Would there be a problem running 3 to 4
> PRI's full of T38 to SIP Faxes on one server?  Could the Attrafax
> software handle that volume?
>
> Thanks in advanced for any feedback.
>

> JR

CPU is the limiting factor, but on recent hardware you should be able to
do 120 channels or more simultaneously, without it having to be really
high end hardware.

We have a test tool in the lab, similar to the show codec translations
on asterisk, to estimate how many channels you could do, i will have it
added to the attrafax archive in the coming week so that you can
estimate things easier.

To already give you some idea in the mean time, when we ran the test a
long time ago on our very old single core p4 based xeon 3.06 ghz (
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+3.06GHz ) we
could do about 40 simultaneous channels.

Ratings on recent cpu's such as the core i7 have a rating on the same
website that is about 15 times higher, so i would presume that 120
channels would be handled easily.

Greetings,

Zoa