[asterisk-users] Small PC to build and run Asterisk

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Tue Jun 15 20:46:17 CDT 2010

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:58:34 -0400, SIP wrote:

>Danny Nicholas wrote:
>> Also cheaper to replace flash card than hard drive.

This need not be the case. It depends upon what Asterisk distro you're
using. I ran Astlinux from a vintage 256 MB CF card for several years
without a problem.

If you simply build up a server and use flash media in place of a disk
then you will likely kill the media in a short period. The behaviour of
the system needs to be tailored to running from Flash.

Some distro's, like Askozia and Astlinux, have been specifically
engineered around running from flash media. This basic form of
operation has been well proven in projects like monowall and pfsense.

For very large installations with a lot of I/O intensive extra
activities running on the server running from flash may never be
appropriate.

Michael
--
Michael Graves