[asterisk-users] Small PC to build and run Asterisk

Randy R randulo2008 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 01:28:15 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 3:46 AM, Michael Graves <mgraves at mstvp.com> wrote:
> Some distro's, like Askozia and Astlinux, have been specifically
> engineered around running from flash media. This basic form of
> operation has been well proven in projects like monowall and pfsense.

I think you hit the essence of the argument for using these embedded
systems, Michael. And we both know from experience and through knowing
the people involved that they're both excellent choices!

I am now considering using an about-to-be-retired Mac Mini. I'm pretty
sure it can be done. How well it might work is another story. I'm
pretty much giving up on Skype for Asterisk (and Skype for SIP) now
that I realize that they'll be charging a monthly fee that is
disproportionately high compared to my need to let Skype users call
us. We'll know the pricing in Q4 of 2010, but it looks to be about
$15/month for one user. $5 for the channel and $10 for Skype Manager.
Maybe something for each name, too?

/r