[asterisk-users] 10/100 voip phones and gigabit connection

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Fri Jan 15 07:54:37 CST 2010

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, randall wrote:

>> Sure. My point was just that IF you only got one connection in the wall,
>> its cheaper to get a switch than getting a phone with dual 1Gbit ports.
>>
>> Leif
>>
> OK, point taken.
>
> but i have 6xisdn2 and already 2x24 gigabit switches (will need to replace
> one with a PoE version ) these connections include both desktops and current
> phones.
>
> i was just hoping to cut back the amount of cabling with 50%, and when i
> found out that most phones with 10/100/1000 connection cost about 250,-
> euro's a piece instead of 90,- for a decent version with 10/100 it was a real
> bummer, it would mean about doubling my budget.

I'm not sure you get it - he is saying you can eliminate the extra cable
run to the desk, and place a small 5 port gigabit switch under the desk
and drive both your PC and the phone from it.  Total cost per desk - 90 +
17 euros.  Significantly less than 250 euros for a dual gigabit port
phone.  No change to your switching infrastructure in your machine room.