[asterisk-users] 10/100 voip phones and gigabit connection

randall randall at songshu.org
Fri Jan 15 08:07:29 CST 2010

On 01/15/2010 02:54 PM, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, randall wrote:
>

>>> Sure. My point was just that IF you only got one connection in the wall,
>>> its cheaper to get a switch than getting a phone with dual 1Gbit ports.
>>>
>>> Leif
>>>

>> OK, point taken.
>>
>> but i have 6xisdn2 and already 2x24 gigabit switches (will need to replace
>> one with a PoE version ) these connections include both desktops and current
>> phones.
>>
>> i was just hoping to cut back the amount of cabling with 50%, and when i
>> found out that most phones with 10/100/1000 connection cost about 250,-
>> euro's a piece instead of 90,- for a decent version with 10/100 it was a real
>> bummer, it would mean about doubling my budget.
>>

> I'm not sure you get it - he is saying you can eliminate the extra cable
> run to the desk, and place a small 5 port gigabit switch under the desk
> and drive both your PC and the phone from it.  Total cost per desk - 90 +
> 17 euros.  Significantly less than 250 euros for a dual gigabit port
> phone.  No change to your switching infrastructure in your machine room.

i did get it,

its a good idea itself and i considered doing this a few years back, but
as you can read from my reply i already have the separate cabling lying
around and my old phones that i need to replace are plugged in there.

Since i have these already it would mean adding extra switches and
untangling the huge amounts of cluttered wires under the desks, and i'm
not sure if thats worth the trouble since it usually is a little dusty
there and the ladies in the office always tend to get a little nervous
when i stay down there too long ;)