[asterisk-users] Please remove me from the mailing list.

Francesco Peeters francesco at fampeeters.com
Fri Jan 8 12:31:13 CST 2010

Rick Green wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, David Gibbons wrote:
>

>> Yes, gmail DOES default to top posting, because bottom posting is silly
>> (in general, but especially for a client that hides quoted text (like
>> gmail)). Top posting is modern. And better. And doesn't make me scroll
>> through 10 thousand messages and awful rsa keys to get to the message...
>> FLAME AWAY!!!
>>
>   This is not intended as a flame...  I just got a gmail account a month
> ago, and haven't used it but for a single google group and calendar
> notifications.  This morning, after seeing the above message, I actually
> hit reply on several messages, and this is what I found:
>
> 1) In every case, gmail presented me with the entire text of the message
> in the compose window.  There was NO indication of 'hidden' full-quote.
> Yes, the cursor is initially placed at the top of the window.
>
> 2) The 'Daily Agenda' mails I get from Google Calendar arrive in some kind
> of rich formatting, but right at the top of the composer window is a small
> unobtrusive link labelled '<Plain text', which strips the formatting, and
> makes deleting the unnecessary text trivial.
>
> 3) Plain text email arriving from a friend's android/gmail device are
> displayed in plain text already.
>
> 4) I searched thru the settings dialog, and I found nothing where I had
> explicitly told it to include the text in a reply, or to show or hide that
> text.  I DID specify that 'plain text' was to be my default outgoing
> format.
>
>    IMHO, top-posting isn't the problem, but just an obvious symptom of the
> real problem, which is failure to edit/strip the quotes to the bare
> minimum.  When a thread gets hijacked by top-posters, who bang out their
> thoughts without even scrolling down to see all the garbage below, another
> problem also becomes apparent, and that is the failure of many MUAs to
> honor 'sigdashes', which is the convention of preceeding your sigfile with
> a line that is 'dash dash space <CR>'.  A compliant MUA will strip that
> line and everything after it when quoting for a reply or forward.  Note
> for the list admin:  Please preceed your message-footer with a sigdashes
> line!

And to add on to this: aside from whether you think it is silly or not,
there are:
1) RFC's
2) List rules

And when both of those tell you to bottom-post, then who are you to
decide otherwise, just because you think it is silly?
Well, maybe I think it is silly that I cannot hit you in the face
everytime you say "I", would you allow me to hit you, or would you
protest and demand I keep to the rules that tell me I can't do that?

Civility demands I keep to the rules and do not hit you in the face.
The same civility demands you keep to the rules as well and do not
top-post! Is that *really* so hard?

Just because Microsoft and others decide to place the cursor at the
wrong position doesn't mean you have to be a mindless herd-animal and
follow that incorrect behavior!

Please people, stop these totally pointless discussions and get back
on-topic!...

PS: I did not have to cut anything, thanks to Rick using the
dash-dash-space convention, and Thunderbird honoring that convention.
PPS: Top or Bottom posting does NOT change anything about the fact you
should <SNIP> stuff that is no longer relevant

Just my €0.02!
--
Francesco