[asterisk-users] Please remove me from the mailing list.

Cary Fitch caryf at usawide.net
Fri Jan 8 12:27:45 CST 2010

I have been doing "this" (whatever that is), since about 1976, involving
many facets, including posting on #1 "CBBS" out of Illinois, usenet in the
90s, and more.

It is not possible to get people to follow all the RFC "rules and customs"
much less the "-- CR" sigdashes.

There are a lot of relative "newbies" much less "oldies" who never heard of
such, or run 10 different mail options from gmail to hotmail to sendmail to
"I have no idea what it is, I am just a member, poster, customer,
or-something " mail user.

In the 90s, a very well like member of a BBS type system
(MajorBBS/Worldgroup) went ballistic when people started using HTML.  The
other people on the net finally just told him "We don't care, we are not
staying in the dark ages. Like it or lump it.".

I am on numerous lists where 75% to 100% of the posts are top posts.

If someone bottom posts people who want to go to the bottom and read.  Most
of us start at the earliest post and read message by message.. and don't
want to rescroll through 10-20 messages over and over.  I know that it would
be nice to have the last message have all the text inline, but that doesn't
happen either.  And then there are always 5 more messages in the same thread
later today.

I don't even use a sig file.  I just type my name.

But to see if it works:

--
Cary Fitch

   IMHO, top-posting isn't the problem, but just an obvious symptom of the
real problem, which is failure to edit/strip the quotes to the bare
minimum.  When a thread gets hijacked by top-posters, who bang out their
thoughts without even scrolling down to see all the garbage below, another
problem also becomes apparent, and that is the failure of many MUAs to
honor 'sigdashes', which is the convention of preceeding your sigfile with
a line that is 'dash dash space <CR>'.  A compliant MUA will strip that
line and everything after it when quoting for a reply or forward.  Note
for the list admin:  Please preceed your message-footer with a sigdashes
line!

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009