[asterisk-users] Unable to open pid file '/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid': No such file or directory

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Feb 12 10:20:30 CST 2010

Brian wrote:

> If you leave the defaults as they are (dictated by (!) in asterisk.conf)
> then the behaviour you get is Asterisk looking to /var/run/asterisk
> which the OS deletes on reboot. The question is why is this the default
> behaviour when it breaks systems that clear /var/run

Because it's impossible to have defaults that work on every possible
system that might do anything the system installer can come up with. It
has only been very recently that any distros at all decided to empty
/var/run on boot, and until now I haven't seen anyone comment about it
or do anything to get Asterisk to be able to accommodate that.

With that said, though, in general Asterisk does not *ever* create any
of the directories it is told to use in /etc/asterisk.conf (or the
defaults in the code, if that file is not present or does not override
them), and this is generally the behavior of most service applications
like Asterisk.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com