[asterisk-users] Unable to open pid file '/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid': No such file or directory

Brian brel.astersik100129 at copperproductions.co.uk
Fri Feb 12 09:48:35 CST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 15:18 +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:28:53PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 14:15 +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > {snip}
> > > So the questions to ask are, I believe:
> > >
> > > * Should asterisk here be run as root? If so: why?
> > It suits me to run it that way on the device concerned.
>
> Could you please be more specific?
Is it relevant at all to the problem or bug?

> > > * Where should the astvarrundir be?
> > If you leave the defaults as they are (dictated by (!) in asterisk.conf)
> > then the behaviour you get is Asterisk looking to /var/run/asterisk
> > which the OS deletes on reboot. The question is why is this the default
> > behaviour when it breaks systems that clear /var/run
>
> Because we should make it simple to run Asterisk as non-root.
Is this relevant at all to the issue?

> > This was - btw - a compile from source, not packaged offering.
>
> Right. But packagers have a way of running into platform-specific bugs.
The bug is simple and clear. Default build expects /var/run/asterisk to
be persistent. This has no relevance to the user that Asterisk is being
run as.

Forgive me for being blunt, but if you want to argue politics or fight
about root -v- non privileged that is your prerogative, but please pick
on somebody else - I'm not interested. The simple test is this - would
running it as some other user avoid this problem - answer: no.

Kind regards
Brian.