[asterisk-users] Unable to open pid file '/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid': No such file or directory

Brian brel.astersik100129 at copperproductions.co.uk
Fri Feb 12 10:51:29 CST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 10:20 -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>
> > If you leave the defaults as they are (dictated by (!) in asterisk.conf)
> > then the behaviour you get is Asterisk looking to /var/run/asterisk
> > which the OS deletes on reboot. The question is why is this the default
> > behaviour when it breaks systems that clear /var/run
>
> Because it's impossible to have defaults that work on every possible
> system that might do anything the system installer can come up with.
Quite - but the core as it is expect /var/run to be persistent and on
several flavours of Linux it is not. It's fair to say that /var/run will
probably be available in most cases so could the default behaviour not
be to look there rather than /var/run/asterisk which may not?

I don't want to fight about it and I appreciate your defence of the
current status quo - it's no big deal. I'm more than happy to admit I
did not relaize that /var/run was emptied on Debian based distros on
boot. Perhaps you could pass that information up to whoever builds the
makefile -or add a little into the README as it confuses new users like
me - who just want it to work.