[asterisk-users] IP Phone recommendation

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Feb 11 05:37:27 CST 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> I haven't used any standard Grandstream IP phones, but I am *trying* to
> stabalize the new video phones they have come up with.  I have several
> GXV3000 and GXV3140s.  I got through central provisioning using their java
> based tool and for the most part these phones work, but have very odd
> bugs.  If left to itself for more than a few days the 3140 simply stops
> answering calls.  The 3000 has very odd DTMF issues - like doubling every
> digit pressed.  This is all fine and I know they are new products, but
> what is frustrating is Grandstream's lack of support.  The forums are next
> to useless, and the firmware releases are always "coming very soon".

I have 4 GXV 3000's.

They're in a "residential" setting - my own/wifes family so we can keep
in-touch and see the new baby...

I would not recomend them for business use just yet though - and by the
sounds of it, the others have issues too.

And the 3000's are not that new - at least a year old!

> Then there are my horrid experiences with their FXO gateways.  Echo, bad
> audio in general, needing a reboot every few days, etc.  Again, support is
> non existant.

I've rescued 2 companies so-far from their PBX device and installed
Asterisk boxes. The few handytones I've used have seemed OK though.

> So regardless of the quality of the latest phones, the company itself
> leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

Even though I use their phones, I'd have to agree here. They do have some
nice innovations, but I get the feeling that they've bitten off more than
they can chew - for the money I've not found anything better than the
GXP2000 - and my clients, who always seem to be budget concious SMEs
(mostly 5-20 staff) like them too, but ...

But Grandstream, if you're listening - Get a Grip! You could have
something really good here, if only ...

Gordon