[asterisk-users] IP Phone recommendation

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Wed Feb 10 15:36:33 CST 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Tim Nelson wrote:

> ----- "Gordon Henderson" <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:
>> If not using PoE I'd suggest getting a few extra PSUs though - that's
>> one
>> area I have had a few issues with - but maybe it's just been the UK
>> ones.
>>
>> Gordon
>
> The same can be said for the US versions. My experience has been it's not a case of 'if' the PSU will fail, but 'when'. In a past (less intelligent) life, I deployed a fair number of the GXP2020s and GXP2000s. There are not very many of them left that haven't completely died(the phone itself), and of those left, they've all had power supplies replaced.
>
> I cannot speak for the quality of the later devices from Grandstream. After being burned, it's a bit hard to look at them again when there are so many other quality devices available (think Polycom, Aastra, etc).
>
> --Tim

I haven't used any standard Grandstream IP phones, but I am *trying* to
stabalize the new video phones they have come up with.  I have several
GXV3000 and GXV3140s.  I got through central provisioning using their java
based tool and for the most part these phones work, but have very odd
bugs.  If left to itself for more than a few days the 3140 simply stops
answering calls.  The 3000 has very odd DTMF issues - like doubling every
digit pressed.  This is all fine and I know they are new products, but
what is frustrating is Grandstream's lack of support.  The forums are next
to useless, and the firmware releases are always "coming very soon".

Then there are my horrid experiences with their FXO gateways.  Echo, bad
audio in general, needing a reboot every few days, etc.  Again, support is
non existant.

So regardless of the quality of the latest phones, the company itself
leaves a lot to be desired IMO.