[asterisk-users] Losing local SIP phones when internet goes down?

--[ UxBoD ]-- uxbod at splatnix.net
Fri Feb 5 03:39:19 CST 2010

----- "Olle E. Johansson" <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> 5 feb 2010 kl. 09.28 skrev --[ UxBoD ]--:
>
> > ----- "Randy R" <randulo2008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> line
> >> was
> hang(
> >> well no
> >> semaphore
> >> everything
> >>
> >> Confirmed and experienced years ago in a release far, far away.

> >> support, so in order to work when the link is down, you need a
> local
> >> resolver, like a caching BIND server, on the same host. The calls
> >> DNS resolvers in Asterisk is synchronus, so Asterisk will wait for
> the
> >> response to arrive.
> >>
> >> IIRC, at the time I had this problem, asterisk did not answer
> analog
> >> phone lines either so as a company we had no phones and had to
> revert
> >> to regular telephones plugged into the wall. Even if Internet is
> >> working, if the configured DNS is down, you're still sunk. This
> >> sorely
> >> needs to be fixed IMO.
> >>
> >> /r
> >
> > Why not run a internal DNS with forwarders to your ISP ? That way
> Asterisk can still resolve itself and hosts internally.
> >
> See above:
> >> you need a local
> >> resolver, like a caching BIND server, on the same host.
>
> /O :-)

Doh! :) My philosophy has always been to install a local named server, whether it be for Asterisk or something else, as most of the time everything I do is behind NAT and I prefer to resolve internal addresses.  This also help if you run your own mailserver and make extensive queries to RBLs etc.
--
Thanks, Phil