[asterisk-users] Losing local SIP phones when internet goes down?

Warren Selby wcselby at selbytech.com
Thu Feb 4 21:52:35 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Nikhil Nair <nnair at pobox.com> wrote:

> No, again, I can cut off the internet altogether with "ifdown eth1", and
> the SIP phones (via eth0) continue to work fine, as does the Zap channel.
> It's only if eth1 is up but the ADSL router is down (or, indeed, the phone
> line is down), that the problem arises.
>
> N.

It sounds as though something is wrong with the RTP routing.  If you ifdown
the connection, you're deleting the routes.  If the ADSL modem goes down,
your server still thinks it has a route out to the internet.  I've noticed a
similar issue on one of my client's installations.  They lost their internet
connection and the phone system went haywire.  As soon as it was restored,
everything returned to normal.

What happens if you manually execute just ifconfig eth1 down?  I haven't
tried this, I'm just curious if it will also delete the route, or will it
leave it there?  If the route is still there, what happens to your phone
connections?

Another idea - what happens when you bind your SIP connections to the
internal IP address (using bindaddr=10.9.8.1 in the general section of your
sip.conf file) , and then unplug the modem?

I'm sorry I'm unable to offer an exact solution, but I'm very interested in
any results you may come up with.

--
Thanks,
--Warren Selby