[asterisk-users] Losing local SIP phones when internet goes down?

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Thu Feb 4 23:22:27 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 09:52:35PM -0600, Warren Selby wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Nikhil Nair <nnair at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > No, again, I can cut off the internet altogether with "ifdown eth1", and
> > the SIP phones (via eth0) continue to work fine, as does the Zap channel.
> > It's only if eth1 is up but the ADSL router is down (or, indeed, the phone
> > line is down), that the problem arises.
> >
> > N.
> >

> It sounds as though something is wrong with the RTP routing.  If you ifdown
> the connection, you're deleting the routes.  If the ADSL modem goes down,
> your server still thinks it has a route out to the internet.  I've noticed a
> similar issue on one of my client's installations.  They lost their internet
> connection and the phone system went haywire.  As soon as it was restored,
> everything returned to normal.
>
> What happens if you manually execute just ifconfig eth1 down?  I haven't

the route should dissappear

> tried this, I'm just curious if it will also delete the route, or will it
> leave it there?  If the route is still there, what happens to your phone
> connections?
>
> Another idea - what happens when you bind your SIP connections to the
> internal IP address (using bindaddr=10.9.8.1 in the general section of your
> sip.conf file) , and then unplug the modem?
>
> I'm sorry I'm unable to offer an exact solution, but I'm very interested in
> any results you may come up with.

maybe try tcpdump on the inside interface of the debian box limit to
just packets with a sip phones address.

What I have seen on my asterisk box when I had a up/down adsl line was
that the asterisk box couldn't do dns resolution and would hang( well no
other internal calls could be made, seemed like some sort of semaphore
was stuck) when the adsl came up and dns could be done, everything
worked fine again

--
"As far as the legal hassling and wrangling and posturing in Florida, I would suggest you talk to our team in Florida led by Jim Baker."

	- George W. Bush
11/30/2000
Crawford, TX