[asterisk-users] Losing local SIP phones when internet goes down?

Nikhil Nair nnair at pobox.com
Thu Feb 4 21:20:47 CST 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Joseph wrote:

> On 02/05/10 02:05, Nikhil Nair wrote:
>>
>> Extract from sip.conf:
>>
>> [general]
>> context=incoming
>> srvlookup=yes
>> realm=nikhil-nair.net
>
> Your resolve authentication to an outside server, isn't it?

No, that's just a Realm string which has to match when the Asterisk box
talks to a phone (if the phone is fussy, that is).  I happen to own that
domain, but this doesn't point to any outside server: the Asterisk box
does the authentication.

> So here might be your problem; if there is no connection to the Internet no authentication.

No, again, I can cut off the internet altogether with "ifdown eth1", and
the SIP phones (via eth0) continue to work fine, as does the Zap channel.
It's only if eth1 is up but the ADSL router is down (or, indeed, the phone
line is down), that the problem arises.

N.