[asterisk-users] Smallest possible Asterisk VM

Michael Iedema michael at askozia.com
Tue Feb 2 00:23:09 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Frank Church <voipfc at googlemail.com> wrote:
> How small can an Asterisk system be, in terms of disk space utilized?
>
> I am looking for just asterisk, with mysql, postgresql, or sqlite,
> with PHP and Python.

AskoziaPBX is <30MB installed. It has Asterisk 1.6.1, nearly all of
the modules and PHP. No external db support yet, and no need for
python so far. It only has the minimum prompt set to cover what
functionality is in the GUI:
 - http://www.askozia.com

The biggest portion of your space is going to go to media.
Music-on-hold can be limited to a single file but to have a complete
set of prompts, it will cost you another 10MB installed or so.

I think a truly minimal Asterisk install with externally stored media
would come in at less than 20MB installed. If you optimize the kernel
even further for your specific hardware and take out all unneeded user
space utils, it should be less than 15MB installed.

Hope that helps,
-Michael